Wednesday, October 12, 2011

DIY Chevron Curtains

I don't know about you, but our house always seems like a work in progress. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that we can't afford to just go out and buy everything we'd want for our home, but in a way I kind of like it. It forces me to be more creative with what we have and gives me excuses for all sorts of DIY projects.

The one room that we've been working on since the wedding is our living room. I want this room to be cozier and more inviting. It's pretty small so there are only so many ways we can arrange furniture. I've grown quite fond of chevron stripes and have been wanting to make my own chevron rug. However, having two rowdy pups doesn't really lend itself well to a rug with white in it or even one that I care about (they tend to eat any carpet/rug they can, given the opportunity).

So instead I decided to take two of our four white curtain panels and paint a chevron pattern on them. Jesse and I decided on mustard yellow. This color complements the rest of our room well and stands out just enough to make a subtle statement.

Here's how we did it:

All four white panels before. 
(not the greatest before pic, but you get the idea)

Jesse used graph poster board to cut a stencil. 

We lined up the stencil on the panel. *The tape didn't really help and we stopped using it after we moved the stencil down. 

We used sponges to apply the paint. This gave it a sort of weathered look. I wasn't planning to do it this way, but it actually looks really cool. 



 We ran out of paint after the first panel and had to go get more. If you try something like this, I would definitely recommend getting more paint than you think you'll need. It goes really fast!

The finished look! I love it!






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That's such a great idea! You two are such a creative pair!

Lindsay said...

look how cute these are! way to go! and this is just adorable seeing you work on these together... have you seen or heard of the blog http://www.junkaholique.com/ ? You need to check it out... it reminds me of you ;)

Kendra said...

Thanks, Lindsay! I haven't heard of that site, I'll definitely check it out.