Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I've got people

(image via)

I've never been a dedicated follower of Grey's Anatomy, but while visiting my sister in Portland this week I've watched a few episodes with her. In the particular episodes that we were watching, Izzie was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma. I got chills as I was watching Izzie face cancer and the reactions of those around her. At one point, an older woman said something like, "having people is better than no people... they always come to be with me." (or something to that effect) Then, all of Izzie's friends were sitting around talking and realized that no one had gone to see Izzie that day. Just before she was going in for surgery, Alex rushed in to see her.

This made me think back to when I was being treated for metastatic melanoma. I feel so lucky that my family was so supportive and always willing to go to appointments with me, so I wasn't alone. When I started treatment, my brother took me to every appointment in the mornings and when he had to leave for school my mom would come to get me on her lunch break and stay with me until I could go home. I was hardly ever at the treatment appointments by myself and can't imagine what I would have done without my family there. Thankfully, it's been a few years since I've had to deal with treatments and numerous appointments, but I know that if I'm ever faced with this disease again I will have all the love and support I need!

No comments: