
I am the kind of person that likes to have a plan. I want to know when I will be doing something, where that is going to take place and how I will get there. For my entire life that has always been fairly simple to figure out because I have always been in school. Now that I am approaching graduation in the spring, I am forced to come up with a new plan. I often find myself overwhelmed by the big picture: finding an open position, applying for the job, perfecting my resume and cover letter, moving somewhere unfamiliar, living by myself and really the list goes on and on.
I have a friend that always seems to have the best advice when it comes to figuring out life and while I haven't talked to her recently, her guest post, Capture the Essence of Your Experience with the Spiritual Resume, on Kelli Matthews PRos in Training blog has calmed my nerves and given me a bit or direction.
Leona has some great tips for creating what she calls a "spiritual resume." Here is what she says,
"The complementary tool I use with my master resume is what I call a "spiritual resume." In a historical document, I have a history of all the qualities I expressed at each job, the things I learned and contributed, the relationships that helped me grow, and the principles I grasped. In addition to being a psychologically valuable exercise (affirming the fact that even the worst job has some value), creating a spiritual resume leaves you with a document you can use as a resource when writing and preparing for interviews."
I am realizing that while it's good to look at the big picture I need to take things one step at a time. Working on my resume is a great start and I will definitely take into consideration Leona's advice and create not just one, but two resumes.
image: corbis

No comments:
Post a Comment