Saturday, February 2, 2008

How Web Trendy Are You?

When I joined MySpace a few years ago, I wasn't sure what to think about the site.  The whole concept freaked me out a little.  I didn't like the idea of meeting people online, and it all seemed a bit unrealistic.  However, at the same time it intrigued me and it wasn't long before I customized my profile with a colorful background, a profile song and numerous pictures.


That was only 2 1/2 years ago and now there are more social networking and media sites than ever.  I just looked at a Web Trend Map for 2008 created by Information Architects Japan.  The map is of the 300 most influential and successful websites.  Some of the most obvious to me were Google, CNN, AOL and FOX.  As I continued to look over the rest of the map at all of the sites I noticed that I recognized only about half (maybe) of them.  Should I know what Badongo is? What about Gawker?


As a student looking to enter the field of Public Relations should I be worried that I didn't recognize everything on the Map?  And, is it important that I familiarize myself with such websites?


Clearly I don't know, but either way it seems as though I have a lot of catching up to do!


1 comment:

Karen Miller Russell said...

Don't worry too much -- it seems like some of them come and go in no time! But of course more knowledge is always better than less. ;-)