Thursday, March 6, 2008

Twitter This, Twitter That...


When my class first started learning about social media at the beginning of this term, our professor, Kelli Matthews, mentioned Twitter. Twitter is a site designed to allow members to answer the question, "What are you doing?" by posting short updates. You can subscribe to 'follow' someone on Twitter, and beyond that I am not really sure what you can do with it.  Anyway, I never took the time to check it out, it seemed really silly to be constantly updating what I was doing all day for the whole world to see. I am on MySpace and Facebook, so I figure if people really want to know what I am up to they can find me there.

However, I think I may have a new perspective after overhearing a conversation between my peers in class today. As we all enter the classroom in the morning, people are always talking about their blogs, job/internship interviews and whatever else may be on the mind of a soon-to-be graduate. This morning a couple of girls were discussing their activity on Twitter. They were so excited and thrilled that others in PR (people they did not know) were following them on Twitter and leaving them comments. I found myself wishing that I too could be sharing in their excitement. Suddenly Twitter didn't seem so silly and I realized that it's not necessarily about whether you are posting to your blog or updating Twitter, but rather it's about creating conversations and connecting with others.

I came across this video by Lee Lefever on Eric Eggerston's blog Common Sense. It introduces Twitter in a fun way and also falls under the topic of presentations, which we have also been studying this week. Basically, I think that Twitter can be a really effective way to communicate and I think that I will have to give it a try!

image: flickr/danihernanz

1 comment:

Kelli Matthews said...

Add me! (kmatthews)
I think you'll like it. I got Leona to jump on, too... even if it was reluctantly.

:)